The Apex Bean Bag is a versatile, solid support for a camera, especially one mounted on a gimbal or ball head. Designed for DSLR cameras with lenses up to 800mm, the Bean Bag has a U-shape that makes it perfect for mounting on any narrow or round surface, such as a fence, a car door, or a tree branch. (The Bean Bag is designed for windows that measure 17″ or higher.) Inside the “U” is a high-tack surface that keeps it from slipping.
Constructed of tightly woven heavy-duty nylon pack cloth and sewn with high-strength polyester thread, the Apex Bean will simply not leak, regardless of the material used. The Bean Bag features an easily accessible fill zipper that allows you to customize the amount of filling that’s inside the bag. A weather-resistant flap protects the zipper. At about 14 lb when filled (depending on the filler, of course), it’s far from flimsy, providing plenty of stability.
Inside the bag there’s an aircraft-grade aluminum plate that, with its 3/8″-16 screw, supports the attachment of a head. The plate is removable, so you can use the Bean Bag as a traditional, soft bean bag support.
You can also invert the Bean Bag to nestle a telephoto lens into the “U” portion, which provides non-slip support. This is perfect for shooting from a flat surface such as a car hood or the ground.
- Designed to stabilize lenses up to 800mm in vehicles with windows 17″ high or taller
- Strap allows the bean bag to be fastened to a vehicle door handle or beam. It also acts as a carrying handle
- Comes with removable, hand-crafted aircraft-grade aluminum plate to enable the attachment of a head
- Constructed of high-quality, water-resistant material
- U-shape portion is crafted with advanced high-tack material, allowing the Apex Bean Bag to stay put
- The aluminum plate is removable, allowing you to create instantly a supremely high-quality “soft” bean bag
- Attachment loop allows you to add a pouch or attach the bean bag to a belt
- Large side pocket provides storage capacity for other items
* Note! Please note: The Bean Bag does not come filled. Volume of the Apex Bean Bag is approximately 1080 inches cubed.
“I’ve been using an Apex Bean Bag for the past couple of years and I couldn’t consider shooting with a big lens nowadays without one. The steady support it gives me is critical to the success of my wildlife images and allows me to push my shutter speeds lower with real confidence when the light demands it.
This first image for example (taken as the light was falling fast at the end of the day) was captured at 1/100 on a 400mm f/2.8 – it would have been impossible to get without the steady support of the Apex Bean Bag.
And for my set up I particularly appreciate the flat top of the bean bag which enables me to use a skimmer and head on top for smoother panning also, as illustrated by the second image taken at 1/6. An essential part of my kit!”
– Margot Raggett, Owner of Margot Raggett Photography